|The Quire, Eastern Iowa’s GLBTA chorus, is seeking a director. The Quire rehearses on Sunday evenings and performs two large and several smaller concerts annually. Successful candidates will have a strong technical background in music and a passion for choral excellence.
Applicants may send resumes and inquiries to Pam.
Cover letter and resume will be accepted through October 15, 2011. Interviews will be conducted in October and November. Rehearsals for the Spring concert will begin in early January.
Our seasons follow the University of Iowa semesters with Fall rehearsals beginning in September, culminating in a Winter concert in December, with various occasional performances by request in the interim. Spring rehearsals begin in January, culminating in a Spring concert in May. Every four years the Quire participates in GALA (including 2012.)
This position is part-time.
A lump sum is paid directly after the Spring and Winter concerts annually, $1500 commensurate to experience.
Additional compensation will be provided for occasional performances.
Position Title: Quire Artistic Director
Reports To: Quire Board of Directors
- Implement the mission statement of the Quire and work with the Board of Directors to support and promote that goal.
- Develop a musical sound and presentation of the Quire that is enhanced each season
- Provide motivation for individuals to join and maintain their memberships in the Quire
- Plan, design, organize and present two major concerts annually, as well as community outreach and requested performances (as well as every four years, direct the Quire at GALA)
With the aid of the Board of Directors, supervise and evaluate accompanists and mentor section leaders
- Conduct the choir
- Develop Quire members’ musical skills through weekly rehearsals
- Select music for the Quire that supports the mission and vision of the choir
- Work with the Board of Directors to ensure expenditures are within approved concert budget
- Coordinate with Board of Directors on concert production
- Reach out to concert audiences
- Provide input on concert evaluations
- Prepare the Quire and assure musical direction of community performances
- Create, along with the board and manager, collaborations with other community arts organizations
- Provide direction to Board of Directors regarding implementation of established goals and plans
Recruit and select instrumentalists for concerts
Collaborate with the Board of Directors as an ex-officio participant to:
- Supervise accompanist
- Guide and sustain section leaders
- Provide on-going evaluation to the board
Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors
- Formulate, implement and monitor annual and long-range plans, goals and objectives for the Quire
- Implement direction and policies for the Quire
- Ensure continued communication between the Board and the Quire
- Attend monthly Board of Directors’ meetings and annual retreat
- Commitment to supporting growth and empowerment of the LGBTA community
- BA degree in music, or equivalent training and experience. Advanced training in choral conducting is preferred
- Candidate shall demonstrate successful choral ensemble directing, preferably with representative recordings
- Experience in planning and implementing concerts, including creative programming skills
- Ability to mentor, motivate, and to supervise individual members of the Quire
- Excellent problem-solving, written and oral communication, collaborative and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to meet schedules, timelines and budgets